Safety: When you first light your candle, ensure that you choose somewhere free of draughts and on a suitable surface. Always burn candles away from pets and children.
YOUR FIRST BURN – This is very important and will determine how your candle burns.
When you light your candle for the very first time leave your candle lit for between 2 and 3 hours, to make sure that the melt pool reaches the edges of the container. Candles have a burn memory so if the melt pool didn’t reach the edge on the first burn, it won’t on any further burns. This may cause tunneling to occur and will result in a much shorter burn time and an inferior candle. Once your melt pool has reached the edge of the tin the candle can now safely be extinguished.
During the first hour or so of the first burn the flame may be a little more erratic than usual, please do not be concerned as this will start to calm down and become more consistent as the melt pool develops. We would advise a maximum burn time of around 4 hours at any one time. This can avoid overheating, any longer and the wick can become too long, causing a higher flame and soot to develop around the top of the glass.
Trimming your wick…
This is important. Remember to trim your wick after each use to ensure your candle burns cleanly and retains a neet tidy flame. You can use wick trimmers or sharp scissors.
If using one of our wooden wick candles you will still need to maintain the wick. we suggest ¼ and 1/8 inch. This can either be done with a wick trimmer, a pair of nail clippers, or you can just use your fingers to snap off the excess black wick. This should be done before each light.
Please ensure that you only trim the wick once the candle has cooled and there is no melted wax around the wick
NEVER leave candles burning unattended or in unsafe locations where animals and children can come into contact with a burning candle.
Our candles tins all come with lids. These can be placed under the candle tin and used to create at a stand for your candle tin should you wish.